So, it's been a while....

...and I'll try to be better about blogging but it's been a weird past couple of months: Gone for two weeks, home for one. Gone for another 20 days, home for 10, then back on another plane. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Several trips to Los Angeles, a couple of trips to Europe, and as of Friday, we just got home from a week-long trip to Los Angeles, followed by another week in Chicago for Thanksgiving. I'm looking forward to sleeping in my own bed for a while now!

Sony is like "the other woman" in my life. She wants to keep Kelly more than the 1-week-per-month that was originally agreed upon. The upside is that Sony has underwritten those unintended-but-welcomed European vacations, since they tied into his required-for-work trips. Since Sony was paying for Kelly's airfare, meals, hotel and other expenses in the work-destination cities, I only had to pay for my own airfare and food (and of course, we paid for our own accommodations in the "bonus" cities) but having them cover the round-trip airfare for him, and half of our hotels, was an offer we couldn't refuse!

The first transatlantic voyage included Frankfurt,Germany (2 days) Salzburg, Austria (7 days) and Verona, Italy (6 days).

Flying to Frankfurt and taking the train to Austria was cheaper, so that's what we did. Frankfurt was just a place to land, recover from jetlag, and maybe see some sights. We stayed in a hotel that catered primarily to business instead of vacationers, but it was nice. There weren't many sights to see, as it's a very commercial area, but we enjoyed our long walks.

We took a train to Salzburg, where Kelly had meetings all-day-every-day during the week. I spent my time walking, shopping, and "sewing" in the park. (it was really more of an excuse to sit and peoplewatch while I kept my hands busy) The weather was beautiful. I indulged in my favorite pastime - eavesdropping - and got to do so in many languages.

We had no international cellphones, which was a horrible inconvenience when you're so used to having one, but I was able to go back to the hotel and check e-mail to communicate with Kelly about meeting up after work. A couple of times we met with his co-workers for dinner, but mostly we were on our own. We had a couple of days before- and a couple days after- where time was not dedicated to his obligations and we did sightseeing and stuff, so that was nice.

Then, we took a train to Italy, landing in Verona. I chose it because it didn't feel like as much of a tourist-trap as Venice or Milan could be, but there was still plenty to do, lots to see, and there was much gelato to be devoured. We stayed at a Bed & Breakfast and it was really nice. Every detail was as if I'd designed it myself.

There's no way i'm going to be able to summarize two weeks in a few paragraphs, but I kept a journal on the Austria/Italy trip, which I've photographed and uploaded if you want to read it. Drop me a line and I'll e-mail you the link. I've got photos too, of course, but other peoples' vacation photos are BORING, aren't they?!

I'll write about Amsterdam & Dublin next time, so watch this space :-)

Today I learned: 48ºF can seem downright balmy after a week in Chicago.

No comments:

TwitterStream