Foamhenge departs

Back in April (I think) I put the trailer to use and took advantage of a big discount on some rigid foam insulation. I saw the ad on craigslist; 4' x 8' sheets of 2-inch Owens Corning foamulaR brand insulation for half of the retail price. An insulation company in Nashville had a big job, and ended up with ~100 sheets left over from the semi-trailer load that they had started with. I negotiated the price down from $20/sheet to $15, hooked up the trailer, and made the 2 trips to collect 50 sheets. My plan was to use the sheets to insulate the floor of the house from underneath in the crawlspace, but that plan was abandoned once the plumbing and ducting was put in. It would have been a huge job to custom-cut each sheet to fit around the pipes, and it would have left many pipes below the insulation layer and susceptible to freezing unless I insulated the underpinning walls, as well. So, after speaking with my insulation expert, Mr. McAfee, and being advised to simply insulate just the interior face of the underpinning, I had to make a new plan.

I re-hired the guys who had done the drywall work in the house to come out and finish the underpinning and then apply the foam. They did a good job in a short amount of time, which was a relief to me. I had been closely watching the weather forecasts fearing that a freeze would cause a disaster with frozen/bursting pipes under the house. But, it got done. Once the crawlspace was closed in, I put our remote thermometer under the house, perched on a drianpipe on the North end where I expect it will be coldest. So far, it has been consistently reporting 60 degrees F. I know we are losing some heat through the floor, but I can always add insulation later to help keep that loss to a minimum.

Now, what to do with the left-over 35 sheets of foam insulation? Not only were they an eyesore, but they were being stored outside where degradation was taking its toll. For some reason, the chickens enjoyed pecking at the exposed edges, and some other type of birds were tunneling into the foam for housing. (Talk about a plush, high-rise apartment!) I put an ad on craigslist, and the next evening a guy named Darcy was on his way down from Nashville. I helped him load his pickup, and away he went. As he drove away with the pile of pink listing to one side, I was overcome with a feeling of elation - not only because there was no monetary loss on the deal, but because I was reminded of how anxious I had been when I got on the Interstate pulling a trailer with a 5-foot stack of foam on it. And this time it wasn't me doing it. Darcy emailed me the next morning to let me know that he had made it home without event, and he wrote that he didn't take a full breath between leaving our place and making it home. Good deal.

No comments:

TwitterStream