Building a Greenhouse & Some Interesting Math

The Greenhouse

We really need a place at home (I'm calling Prospect home from now on) that JoAnna can start seedlings and get them ready for transplanting over the next couple of months. So, we decided to set up a temporary greenhouse. After considering all possible locations on the property, we decided that the best place would be on the lower level, near the shed. This area is one of the few places with an eastern exposure for early sun in the springtime. Originally, we thought a free-standing frame that we wrap in plastic sheeting would be good, but then I decided to use the east side of the shed as a base from which to build. It will probably end up being more permanent than we planned, which is OK by me.

The Math

A few days ago, I decided to dig one of the 30 foundation footing holes to see how long I could expect it would take. After 90 minutes of digging/chopping/pick-axing, I had a hole that was 2 feet deep and 2 feet square. So, the math for 30 holes (not counting for extremely difficult rock obstructions) would be 45 hours of work. While the septic/water line crew was on the job, I asked their leader - Cleveland Byrd - what it would take for his crew to dig the foundation holes. Well, to make a long story short, Freddie Byrd showed up with his Bobcat with 24-inch auger attachment...



...and had the remaining 29 holes dug in less than 2 hours. And they charged me $125 for the work. That comes to about $4 per hole. So the hole I dug for 90 minutes was worth 4 dollars, which means I was making $2.67 per hour. Not bad for a guy who didn't finish college. Machines are our friends.

Speaking of awesome machines, the septic system is complete and has passed inspection, and the water line is done, too. They had to use the backhoe to dig the trench for the water line in a section of rocky/sloping terrain. There were rocks the size of a 12-inch-thick dining room table under the topsoil. There was no way I was going to get through that by hand or even by renting heavy machinery. Following the strong recommendations from my wife and father, I let the experts do it, and I'm sure glad I did.

Today I learned: DO NOT leave your gloves where Trixie can run off with them. She secretly took both of my gloves for a run down the street, killing them as best she could. I searched for 5 minutes and began to question my own sanity before spotting her thrashing one down the road.

No comments:

TwitterStream